Monday, January 12, 2009

Golden Globe Goodness!



OK, I admit it, I am an awards show junkie. I love the speeches, the fancy dresses, and rolling my eyes at self-important celebrities crazy red-carpet interviews. So, I spent about 5 hours yesterday in front of the tv watching the show and red-carpet arrivals. It actually motivated me to clean my house because I was trying to get a list of chores done before it came on. Whatever works!

Before I get to the best part-the DRESSES-I must comment on Kate Winslet finally winning something! Seriously, I feel like she's nominated all the time, but never wins. I was afraid she was going to be the Susan Lucci of movie actresses or something. Anyway, after she won that first one for Best Supporting Actress, I just had this weird feeling that she would win the Best Actress one too. And she did! And she forgot Angelina Jolie! AWESOME. And, Tina Fey and 30 Rock continued to, well, Rock, winning Best Comedy and acting awards for Tina and Alec Baldwin. Best speeches of the night came from Tina telling all her online haters to suck it (Oh-and those haters are real people-I totally assumed she just made it up off the cuff-read all about it here: http://gawker.com/5129103/meet-the-haters-tina-fey-told-off), and then Tracy Morgan accepting for the show...you know, in the spirit of post-racial America. I'm sure you can You-Tube either clip if you missed it. I'm too lazy to do it for you.

And, while not a huge fan of either, kind of fun to see Bad-Boys-Gone-Good as a theme, with both Mickey Rourke and Colin Farrell cleaning up their acts and winning awards for acting and not being trainwrecks. Sobriety for the win!

So....on to the pretty! I could probably make this pretty lengthy, so I will try and reign it in. I'll pick a couple of trends and show you my fave/least fave from each trend. Here's a link to Popsugar which has a pretty comprehensive photo gallery of the evening if you want to see for yourself ones that I may mention but not upload a photo for (again, lazy, lo siento):

BASIC BLACK
As usual, lots of ladies opted for slimming, always classy black. Kate Winslet, Amy Adams, Laura Dern, Renee Zellweger, Amy Poehler, and Tina Fey. You know, I would REALLY love for Tina Fey to NOT wear a black dress to an awards show for once. Love her, but why is she even bothering to wear different dress? Why not the same one over and over? Like a funeral dress!

OK, best black for me has to go to Kate Winslet here. Its just so classic and her hair and makeup were also perfect. Since she won, twice, she'll have to keep looking at these pics over and over for awhile, so its a good thing she looked good.
Worst black? Definitely Renee Zellweger! Tina gets a pass for laziness ONLY because Renee goofed up! What on earth is this? Renee usually does better.....tsk, tsk. PRETTY IN PURPLE
Lots of purple gowns, in various shades. Hayden Panettiere from Heroes, Olivia Wilde from House, Anna Paquin from True Blood, Rumer Willis of Demi and Bruce, all chose lovely shades of purple from lilac to deep grape. None of them were all that great to me, but Hayden's dress was VERY unflattering-it smooshed her chest and the straight neckline really did nothing for her. And it made her look short (so did Anna Paquin's dress). They both need to call Reese Witherspoon (who was not there-for shame)for style tips-both are petite and a little bit athletic in body types. If Hayden had picked, say, a knee-length fitted cocktail dress in the same shade, with a strapless sweetheart neckline, I think it would have been much better. Anna's wasn't as bad, but I wish she'd done something a little more daring, she's young and her dress was kind of old.

SHADES OF PALE
Pale shades of White, Cream, Pale Pink, Pale Gray, and Nude tones dominated the red carpet. Sandra Bullock, Kate Beckinsale, Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, Angelina Jolie, Demi Moore, Eva Mendes, that girl from Momma Mia (the daughter, not Meryl Streep), Miley Cyrus, America Ferrara, etc. Lots of pretty dresses for sure, but I was a little under-dazzled by the lack of color. Hoping that they are saving it for the Oscars.

I think my Fave Pale Dress girl was Sandra Bullock. You don't see her much anymore, and she looked very nice.
Worst? This is bad, but I really thought Eva Mendes looked like she was wearing a very fancily-folded napkin. Just didn't do it for me!
WORST HAIR-Drew Barrymore. ACK! Lovely dress, pretty makeup, all distracted by whatever is on her head.
BLUE RIBBON.....blue was also one of the few shades on the red carpet....Mary Louise Parker, who is on one of my favorite shows, Weeds, looked really pretty with natural flowing hair and a bright blue dress which looked awesome against her pale skin and dark hair.

January Jones of Mad Men-also AMAZING in a sky blue number-it was like nothing else on the red carpet and again, great color choice to go with her hair and skin. And it had POCKETS! Cool.Best that didn't fit into any of my other categories....Eva Longoria in a red number that had the coolest scalloped neckline. Don't really like her, but you have to admit she's got confidence!

Worst that didn't fit into any other categories.....Christina Applegate. Yellow, strapless, ball-gowney number. Love her, kept thinking she looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and could not get past that.

No comments: