Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol, this is your last chance!

OK, so I said I'd tune in tonight for Grand Ole Opry Week, and then decide whether or not to finally stop flipping between AI and the Mentalist for the next several weeks and just tune in to CBS for that hot piece of man, Simon Baker. ;)

So I love trying to predict what people might sing on theme nights, and I'm pretty terrible at it (well, actually, I think I pick great songs for the contestants, they are the ones who make bad choices, lol). Take that back, I am terrible at predicting ACCURATELY, but they should totally sing what I tell them to! The problem this year is that so many of the contestants are so similar to each other-and not a one of them is a "country" artist this time around. I think there was probably A LOT of fighting for certain songs behind the scenes this week! So, based on that list I posted last week, here are a few predictions. I think that we will dfinitely hear someone sing a song by the following: Carrie Underpants, Garth Brooks, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Martina McBride, Dolly Parton, and Trisha Yearwood. Since most of them claim to not be very familiar with country, they are all going to pick something more "mainstream" or something that's been done as a pop/rock version at some point. Particular songs? Crazy by Patsy, How Do I Live by Trisha (I totally think Michael is going to do this-he does NOT want to be pegged as the country guy, so he will do a country-pop song). I am thinking that we may hear more than one Garth song. I read somewhere that Kris likes Garth, and I could see Danny and Adam also picking Garth songs. We may also get some Brad Paisley-he is going to be on the show Wednesday, and some of his bigger hits are relatively mainstream. I think Alexis and Lil will go the Martina/Trisha/Carrie route. I wish no one would sing Carrie, but she is also going to be on the show, and people LOVE to sing Carrie songs, even though they usually get slammed for it. I think Megan or Allison may pick a Patsy song-they are not afraid to go a little retro. And, a song like Crazy has been covered so many times in so many different ways, they could easily find a less "country" arrangement. Dolly's "Jolene" has also been covered a lot, so that might happen tonight as well. Anoop-I have NO IDEA. He has not shown a great amount of sense in his song selections, so I am scared. I think next week is Motown and I hope he sticks around for it. But tonight might be an epic fail for him if he can't pick a good song. As for our piano men, Scott and Matt, they could also get "Crazy" and do Patsy on the piano, and I think they will both do something reasonably "old school" country. You know, Ray Charles did several country albums, I don't think he was a member of the GOO and I am too lazy to go back and look at that list of song choices, but I bet there is at least ONE song on there that he covered that Matt could do to stay in the judges good graces or another week.

All I can say is, if Lil does I Will Always Love You Whitney style, or Danny does "The Dance" or anything that will remotely refer to the dead wife, I am turning OFF the tv. I feel like I have no idea what any of these people are capable of musically and I want some suprises this evening, or I am giving up. (Or maybe giving Motown week a shot....MAN I think I am going to have trouble letting go here!)

2 comments:

Lora said...

I'm SO SICK of AI.

To the point that I canceled Wednesday's recording. It conflicts with Criminal Minds and LOST...no brainer.

But I'll record it on Tuesdays because I can still watch the hunk...er, Mentalist...with the dual tuner. You're welcome to come over :)

Mattie said...

Yeah, I TOTALLY don't care about the results show. I'm more and more convinced that its all staged anyhow. And there is nothing I would miss LOST for!