Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kitchen Must-Have List

Once again I have been slacking on the blog....been busy at the office! Sorry about that.

Anyway, back with a vengeance to talk about one of my favorite topics: Cooking. More specifically, the "top ten" ingredients I must always have in my kitchen, in order to whip up a fab mealtime creation at a moment's notice. I'm also trying something new.....the McLinky. If you have a blog and want to link your "top ten" to mine, you can sign up and do it! There may be some technical difficulties this first time, so bear with me! All these great ideas are courtesy of my friend, neighbor, and fellow blogger Lora who always does these Top Ten lists and I decided to play along. Speaking of, she gave me a little award, and I'm not really sure how to display it here, so if you want to see it, please go here. Thanks bunches, Lora! And if you found me courtesy of linking from her site, welcome!

OK, on to the Top Ten....

1. Pasta. I buy this when it is half price at Publix usually and I have coupons, which usually makes it like a quarter a box (or less) so it is a CHEAP staple ingredient.
2. Canned soups-also something I stock up on when it is BOGO/half-price+ coupons. I have to have the Campbell's cream soups for sauces and casseroles, as well as some of the many varieties of Progresso for those nights I don't really feel like cooking.
3. Diced Tomatoes. I usually have fire-roasted, plain, and basil/oregano. Seriously, you can put canned tomatoes in everything!
4. Canned and/or frozen veggies. Canned to get dumped in soups, stews, and chilis that go in the crockpot, and frozen for casseroles and just plain steaming in the microwave. I love fresh, but cooking for 1, it is hard not to be wasteful so it is often easier to go the other route.
5. Chicken broth-again, you can use it for everything! I do buy the small cans of it when they are on sale, but I also get the giant packs of 6 cartons at Costco. It is a great deal, and it is the organic kind, too.
6. Eggs-I love baking, so eggs are a must....I ALSO love breakfast at dinner, so I love to make omelets, fritattas, and bagel sandwiches because they are quick, easy, and filling.
7. Frozen chicken breasts-again, a Costco staple-I get the big bags, and they are individually wrapped, which is GREAT when only cooking for one or two to just pull out what you need!
8. Canned tuna/salmon-easy way to get protein and not have to buy "fresh meat" LOL! I love salmon or tuna cakes, OR just putting it plain over some spinach in a nice salad.
9. Flour-Again, with the baking, I like to have regular flour, whole wheat, and cornmeal on hand for whatever I want to make. I also recently bought some oat flour, wheat germ, and flax seeds to try and incorporate into my baking for a little added health benefits! I'll let you know what I come up with.
9. Basil-it is my go-to spice. If I don't know what to put on something, I usually use basil, because I like it. I buy the large size from Costco, and in the summer I grow my own fresh.
10. Shredded cheese. I always have a few varieties-at minimum, sharp cheddar, parmesan, and maybe an Italian blend of some kind. Sliced cheese I may or may not have, but shredded is always in the fridge drawer!

OK, what ingredient can't you live without having in your kitchen! Link up with McLinky and let me know!

No comments: