Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Things I Hate...OK Just One Thing.

I have never been able to stomach that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition show. I can't really get through an episode without being in tears, and I guess my social work background comes out because I always wonder what happens AFTER the family gets this great house-can they afford the mortgage? What about the electricity for all those fancy flat screen TVs and stuff? IS that really going to cure their cancer or help the blind dad see again? If someone really wanted to help the family, why not offer to pay their medical bills or something-why give them a fancy house and stuff they don't really need? It may make them feel good for awhile, but what happens when the camera crew leaves and the bills keep coming? We all know that more "Stuff" doesn't really solve your problems, it usually seems to create more....so lo and behold a headline on People Magazine's website about a family now unable to pay the mortgage on their dream house and has lots of medical bills too. I just get frustrated that the line of thinking on how to make someone's life easier or better is to give them nice things and a new house....and then leave them to deal with the aftermath, not to mention the new standard of living they will be accustomed to which they clearly would not have been able to enjoy otherwise. Now, I know in some cases they make wide hallways for wheelchair bound folks, and that is legitimate. But tearing down a whole house to do it? Probably not necessary. I'd rather see a show use mege-bucks to pay off someone's medical bills, assist folks who can't pay their bills due to catastrophic events, send kids with cancer to Disneyland or something.

I can't help it, the whole premise of this show has always bugged me, and now I feel justified knowing that I was right-the good times may not last for these families, and who's going to help them when they don't?

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20245129,00.html

No comments: