Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Idol Thoughts

Ok, of the three people that may actually read this blog, I am thinking maybe one of you watches American Idol, so for the rest, I am sorry. I am going to try and write about the two documentaries I watched but I wanted to put in something fun before I go serious. Its my blog...I can do what I want.

So, on to Idol! I had to tape it-which is really better because then I can fast-forward through Ryan Seacrest-it was Andrew Lloyd Webber night. I figured most of the remaining 6 would be OK, I was worried about Jason and Brooke, who are more of the singer/songwriter style, and my worries were totally justified. Here's what went down-

Syesha-She did some song about Rock and Roll that I had never heard. I liked that it was uptempo, I have only heard her do ballads and I was so sure she would do Memory from Cats or something from Phantom-so it was out of her box, and she did it well, I just still am not that interested in her. She's just does not have that star quality to me, even though she has a lovely voice and a pretty face. I could totally see her on Broadway though.

Jason-Oh no. JASON is doing Memory? I'm scared. Even more scared when he admits he knows no showtunes, and he had no idea that the song was sung by a Diva-Cat. Not only is the song out of his league, but if he can't connect to the song, it will be Mee-chelle my Bell all over again-and it was worse!!! I am a fan of his-he's totally cute and even when his vocals are not the best in the bunch, his emotional connection to the song usually saves him. I have a feeling he has the fan base to get him through, but he better be glad that he was only the 2nd-worst of the night.

Archie-I DO NOT get the judges over-praise of him. He sang "Think of Me" from Phantom. He's cute as a puppy, has a nice voice, and I know that they probably think they can mold him because he is young a la Jordin Sparks last year-but Randy said he was the one to beat after THAT performance? Simon, the voice of reason, put it in perspective-he's good, he's not going anywhere, but that was not stellar. For me, I did think it was the most "commercial" I have heard him sound-so maybe there is hope.

Brooke-OH BROOKE-My friend Wendy texted me and said it was a trainwreck-when she told me she sang "You Must Love Me" from Evita I knew it was BAD before i saw it. First of all, WRONG SONG. This was the song ALW wrote for Madonna in the movie version. Brooke just can't seem to handle the pressure. She sang the first line, forgot the words, and asked to start over. Which might have been OK-she has done this once before and delivered a good performance-but this time, her nerves were just shot and she warbled through looking like she might break down and run off the stage at any moment. On the radio this morning the DJ compared her to a fawn in the woods that needs to be taken care of, if she's a fawn, I think she is dying and we need to put her out of her misery! I like her but now its just painful-this is the 2nd or third week her nerves have been CLEARLY visible and affected her singing. I don't think she can handle it anymore.

Carly-After ALW told her that her first song choice, "All I Ask of You" from Phantom (one of my faves) was not right for her-he told her to try her 2nd choice-"Jesus Christ Superstar" and he was SO right. She does really well with uptempo songs and after weeks of ballads she came alive. Yay! I do like her and I think that holding up the t-shirt that said "Simon Likes Me (This Week) will get her personality points with those that vote!

David C-In the "Pimp Spot" as the last spot of the night is called-So my closet dream all week was that David C would sing Phantom's "Music of the Night" and just sing it-no crazy arrangements-because he can sing, but I think that is often overlooked because his musical arrangements are so unique. So lo and behold, my dreams come true! Apparently he has a background in musical theater (who knew?) and he just came out and belted it and it was lovely and mysterious and sexy. I was a little creeped out during the rehearsals when ALW asked David to sing it to him and pretend that ALW was a 17-year old chorus girl-WHAT??? But it was comical when DC said, "Hey Man, I'm 25...." The other thing-was David's hair dyed darker this week or was it just my TV?

So....I am hoping Brooke goes home for her mental stability. At this point, anything could happen though, and I am only confident that both Davids-Archie and Cookie-are moving on. Guess we will find out tonight!

No comments: