Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cookie for the Win!

Yay! I called it right this time....David Cook won American Idol last night, at the end of a 2-hour plus show filled with gaggles of guest stars, group musical numbers, and product placements/project promotions.

I thought that Cookie was so humble and gracious when he won, breaking down in tears more than once, and immediately hugging Archie and saying to the crowd, "David Archuleta everyone!" I think he is a total class act. His momma did good! Archie did not seem upset. Neither did Daddy, suprisingly. I think they both were truly happy to have made it so far.

If you missed it, head on over to http://www.idolstalker.com/ for links to the videos of the Top 5 moments of American Idol Season 7 Grand Finale....

5. Brooke White and Graham Nash duet on "Teach Your Children." Brooke was resplendent in a stunning blue dress and bare feet as the two sang and played guitar together. At the end, she simply said, "Wow!" I am sure it was a thrill for her and I can't wait to see what kind of album she will make now.

4. Davids Cookie and Archie duet on "Hero." I have to admit I loved this song when it came out a few years ago to go with the Spiderman movie! I actually liked them doing it-a good choice that fit both of them (rock sounding for Cookie, still somewhat of a "message" song for Archie). I heard it was Cookie's idea. He's so smart.

3. George Michael Medley, Top 12 together. The ladies started it off with "Faith," the guys came in for "Father Figure" and the whole gang did a rousing rendition of "Freedom" which had me dancing in my living room...and yall know I DON'T DANCE.

2. DC and ZZ Top, "Sharp-Dressed Man." HOT! To quote Randy Jackson! My dog started humping her pillow when this one started. She has good taste. IMO, the best performance of the night! Cookie WAS a rock star. The vocals, the electric guitar, that little chicken dance thing he did, AWE.SOME. He commanded the stage-pretty good, considering he was sharing it with rock legends!

1. THE GUITAR HERO COMMERCIAL! AAAAHHHHH! Cookie in tighty-whities doing Risky Business. I don't know who thought of that but THANK YOU!!!!! Archie's made me feel like that guy from Dateline might pop out at some point...you know, To Catch a Predator??? At least they let him wear boxers....I'm kind of suprised daddy allowed it! So I have no desire to see that again. But check out the extended version of Cookie's here:
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/david-cooks-extended-guitar-hero-commercial/108755502

Honorable mentions....Simon apologizing to DC for being "borderline disrespectful" during his critiques Tuesday night, saying they both did well and it was not the knockout that the judges made it out to be. Robert Downey Jr. as a "Pip." Carly and Michael Johns singing a duet-I vote these two make a go of it together. The arrangement for "The Letter" was a little wonky but I saw them on Ellen doing the U2 w/ Mary J Blige version of "One" and it ROCKED.

And a couple of letdowns....

George Michael. He sang that slow song that Carrie U sang on "Idol Gives Back." I know he had a cold, but I wish he would have done one of the medley songs with the Idols instead of singing separately from them.

Why didn't Jason Castro get to duet with anyone? I was happy to see him get the only solo of the night besides Cookie's coronation song, and a reprise of "Hallelujah" was lovely, but why did he not get to sing with anyone? I was hoping Dolly would come back and duet with him on "Travellin' Thru"-I downloaded the iTunes on that one and its one of my favorites!!!

All the shilling for Love Guru (and the TOTALLY inappropriate jokes about Archie and puberty!!! GOSH!!!!) and other new albums/movies/products (although how cool was it that they both got new Ford Hybrid Escapes???)

All in all, a much more tolerable 2 hours than I expected, and even though the final song was total cheese (magic rainbows as an actual lyric and all) I think America got it right. Can't wait to see David Cook at the Sommet Center next year!

No comments: