Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Gone Country

Seems like everyone wants to "go country" these days, no? Or at least "go Nashville." Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow have both had country crossover success (together, and her as a solo artist) and even Bon Jovi recorded their last album here (though it failed to connect with country radio...or any radio much for that matter-but I think they will survive-they're BON JOVI). But there are a host of celebrities trying to make a name for themselves on contemporary country radio these days, and some of them may surprise you. I've found a couple of places to check out their music and of course...share with you my opinions!

First up...Jessica Simpson has been working on a country album for what seems like FOREVER. Not a big fan of hers to begin with, so I had LOW expectations for her take on country music, since I don't think she was ever that great at pop. However, I stumbled upon this in my daily perusing of the gossip rags, and much to my chagrin, it is....not that bad. I think the nature of this style of music may suit her because it keeps her from over-singing, one of the main problems I had with her pop music. Like I said, my expectations were low, but I don't hate it and actually think that if I heard it on the radio, it would be catchy and I might sing along. But don't tell anyone I think so. How uncool would it be to like Jessica Simpson?
http://www.usmagazine.com/Listen-to-Jessica-Simpsons-New-Country-Single

Next up...Darius Rucker. WHO is that you ask? No, HOO-TIE is the correct way to ask this question! HAHA. Ya'll know Darius, he's sold millions of records as Mr. Hootie himself-Hootie and the Blowfish, one of my FAVORITE bands in high school! So, for sheer nostalgia alone, and the fact that I lovelovelove his voice, and one of my high school boyfriends use to sing "Hold My Hand" to me in the car, expectations were much higher for Hootie-I mean, Darius Rucker. And I will say he has mostly delivered. To quote my dawg Randy Jackson (I'm having American Idol withdrawals, I'm sorry) he could sing the phone book and I would listen. I'm not knocked out by the first single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It," but it has been getting quite a bit of airplay and covers thinkin', drinkin', and lost love, so he's totally proven that he can write a country song. It's certainly good enough to make me want to hear more from his album.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/darius-rucker-dont-think-i-dont-think-about-it/3712209678

Jewel. Oh, Jewel. Based on the first offering, I'm a little worried. I like Jewel. I even stuck through her with the razor-commercial-sellout thing she did a few years back. You know, girl's got to make a dollar to upkeep that ranch and all those horses she has. And I think she is a lovely singer-songwriter. Again, some high school nostalgia here as "You Were Meant for Me" I think was probably played at my prom or something. And, there's a great acoustic, stripped version of that song that gets played on the local radio here that will blow you away. (note to self-look for that on iTunes) So I know she's capable of greatness, but this first song, "Stronger Woman" just ain't great. I thought maybe it could grow on me, but it really hasn't. The good news for her is, country radio and video channels are playing it, so like me I think they want to accept her into this world, because she fits. But I'm waiting for greatness Jewel...you better deliver or back to product jingle songs you go.
http://www.jeweljk.com/

Even non-singers want in on the country goodness. Two time Dancing With the Stars champ Julianne Hough has ALSO just released a country album. She's a stunningly beautiful girl, but I think it may be hard for her to convince us to see her as something other than a dancer. It's hard for females to break into country-there was a great article in the paper about a year ago here about that topic. Sure, Carrie and Taylor Swift are two young blondes who have had record breaking success, but they are certainly the exception and not the rule. So as you can tell I am trying to be nice here, because I love her on the dancing show, but I am just not sure this is her cup of tea. Her first song is alright, and it's not that she can't sing, I just don't know-something is missing for me that I can't put my finger on. However, she did land the PLUM role of opening for Brad Paisley, something that the aforementioned young blonde country gals Carrie, Taylor, and not mentioned Kellie Pickler all have in common and its worked out for them. Is Brad the key to a lady's success in this biz? Hmmmmm. So....I'm going to give this one some time before I call it.
http://www.amazon.com/Julianne-Hough/dp/B0014DXYEQ

No comments: